Friday, July 8, 2011

Shuttle Launch!


Wow. What a beautiful event to witness. I'm so lucky to work across the river from Kennedy Space Center, and since I've been here, I have seen many go up (as well as many scrubs). It's quite sad to know there will be no more after this, but I have hope that this country will go on to better and brighter things. Remembering how jealous I was of all the kids who got to go to Space Camp - after watching Double Dare - makes me a little nostalgic. Maybe future generations of children will also dream of going to space while watching game shows, too.

In the hours leading up to the launch, I walked around Titusville, camera in tow. There is something uniquely American about shuttle launches. It is a moment that brings all of us together, especially in trying times like these when we are so very divided. There were people from all over the country - all over the world, in fact - sitting side by side, waiting in anticipation for a mere 30 seconds of history to unfold. People who had been camped out here for days, knowing that the odds of a launch happening were against them. Amazingly the dark clouds held out, the sun peeked through, and the shuttle went off. The crowds at every park, every median and road cheered...and cheered...and cheered. For a little while at least, my usual cynicism disappeared, and I was so proud to be a part of it. It truly was a thing to behold!










No comments:

Post a Comment